Cutlass Trilogy

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Positive Writer: Bad Reviews

I tried to prepare myself for bad reviews, but no matter how much I prepared, the first one still crushed me. 

Worse, I found the review at about ten at night and couldn't sleep until four in the morning because I cried so much. 

It was painful to read. It was hurtful to see something so critical about something I'd worked so hard on. I'd decided to publish my book on my birthday, April 23, which I do not regret at all. But leading up to my birthday, the day of my birthday, and after, most all I could think about were those bad reviews. 

It's taken me a bit to get to where I am now. 

Where am I now?

Well, I decided that those bad reviews absolutely do not define me or my work. They define another person. All their reviews mean are that my book really isn't their thing. And that's okay. 

No, really, it's okay. 

You know why? Because for one of those bad reviews, there's an equally awesome good review. And those are the people I write for, and those are the people who respect my work. Those are the people who add value. 

First and foremost though, I had to realize the value of my own work. Realize that those bad review do not define me. 

That was hard. It still is hard. 

All I'm saying is, you're awesome. Your book is awesome because YOU wrote it. Don't let what other say change how you feel about your work or yourself!




5 comments:

  1. It is hard. The first is the hardest, none feel good. But you're right, not every book is everybody's cup of tea.

    (to make myself feel better, I pick an awesome book...one people overwhelmingly love, like say Harry Potter...and go read the reviews. There will be some that rip it. That will remind you that it happens to everyone.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine that was so hard! Pretty sure I'd cry too. But you've found a positive way to look at it(and a true one) so yay you! Lovely pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So as with your book - appreciation is in the readers' eyes. Not everybody can relate to every great writer's pieces. Just go on ... there are always some who sees what others don't. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good attitude to have. There are always people out there who won't get your work. What's important is finding the readers who do.

    ReplyDelete