Oh, and if you haven't already, remember to check out my interview with Barbara Kloss HERE as well as her book, GAIA'S SECRET!
I've been in college for a while. Lol. (Nah, just going on 4 years), but still! Writing has been so difficult, and I had a hard time finding a book that motivated me like Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.
Now this is really just specific to fantasy novels, really...cause that's my love!
1. I have to be taken to another world.
Not a Dystopian world, not our world with fantastical creatures (urban fantasy). I feel like there is no escape there. This doesn't mean I don't like these types of novels (I loved City of Bones ect.), they just don't inspire me to write as other worlds do! Give me a map. lol.
2. I want to learn things. I want different laws, different ideals, different....everything. I don't want something that I have to live everyday. In other words, I am reading for an escape (that's why I write, too), so I don't want to read my reality.
3. I do not like glaring, shiny love stories. Please. I want some fighting, action, adventure, fun! I mean, if you have a love story..that's great. I love being in love, but I know what it is....if I had wanted that I could have read a romance. It's become a common element in YA fantasy to dominate with love...just cause young adults don't understand it (usually) and get all fuzzy inside when they can read it and feel those feelings...but really...while I'm reading it I'm like 'yeah...I know already...I know...'. Don't get me wrong! Love is fine...moderation is key! Subtle = tension. Tension is good!!
4. I want to love those characters. I mean LOVE them. I want to think about them after I close the book and attempt to sleep and then cannot sleep because I just want to know the rest of the book! Basically, I want them to poke me until I pay attention to them and they can finish the story for me. I <3 this.
5. Most importantly, I want to step away from a novel and go 'Man, I want to create something like that!'. I want to fall in love with MY characters, MY world, MY book all over again! (This is for when I'm in a writing slump...)
Now, these are just my thoughts. I'm a fan of novels that aren't set in this world in ANY form really. Give me a map YOU created. Something I can envision myself, I'll love you!! Although, I'll give anything a chance.
Ohhhkay! Business! hehe.
I added stuff to my Cutlass Page!! Silliness, really, but that's okay! :D
*clears throat* Why yes, this is my tattoo...it's like 2 weeks old? HURRRTTTT. 3 guesses! What does the 'A' stand for?!?
This is my writer face....'ARGH!!!'
Did you recognize me?!? This weekend was my writing weekend. ALLL I DID WAS EDIT/WRITE!! That means no makeup face!! whoo. No one ever recognizes me...which is funny, a little insulting. It's whatevs though. hehe.