Cutlass Trilogy

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Querying Magazines?

Everything I post is a question. lol.
So, Thursday I am supposed to go talk to my professor about queries! Excitement!
I was just curious how many of you are strictly novel writers or do you write short stories and submit them to magazines? I can't decide if I should just work on building credentials or what...that'll be a question for my professor, I suppose.

My genre changes across short stories and novels. Short stories I do not write well, therefore, I must write about "what I know"--meaning, they are more of a memoir, non-fictional type, whereas novels are completely fantasy...which I like more.

Ugh!! I don't know what to do...I'm really lost and grad school is looking so complicated at the moment, I'm deathly afraid of it. =/

So...because I am lost, and trying to find a niche, I will present you with a picture of Alice.

There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter. --The Mad Hatter

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure everybody would tell you to build up credentials, write short stories, articles even, submit them to magazines, get your name out there...

    But do you really have time for that when you just want to be a novelist!?

    Ha, anyway, have fun talking to your professor :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I queried straight to editors with a pb and got an "almost" but no go. Then decided I should get a few publication credits in the meantime. So I did. If anything, it made me feel more like a writer since I was finally paid for something I wrote (even as little as it was). But now I have a few credentials to put on my query letter.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete