Cutlass Trilogy

Thursday, April 5, 2012

A-Z Challenge: E

E is for Elves!

I love Elves. I fell in love with them when I read the Lord of the Rings, as I am sure we all did. ;) This gets kinda complicated and my posts are super short because I can't give a lot away. :/



My Elves, well...I'm not sure how much they vary, but they are the only race in The Orient that practice magic. These people were once looked up to because of their power. When you meet my Elves, there aren't many left. They live on an Island called Aurum and like to be around water. I love thinking about their lore because they are a very connected people. They have oral traditions and because of this, most of their history does not pass to the world beyond their boarders. They are a feared people in the time you meet them in my book--they are sort of seen as a myth. When people see them out of their native land, they are often struck by their appearance because it is other-worldly. They are folk who try to stay out of the progress of the rest of the world and are governed by their own king (Tetherion does not rule over their lands, Aurum is in the far South of The Orient).

The Royal Line looks like this:

 King Linden --- Queen Fira 
                      |
         Leaf           Limb 

It's not much, really. It's hard to have an extensive family tree when you live forever, lol.  Leaf and Limb are twins and they have their own complicated story. You'll learn about that sometime.

Leaf is a rebellious prince. He decided he wanted to be a pirate, so he ran off and joined Barren's crew (before that he did some things he regrets, got some people killed...ya know...pirate stuff). Sometimes it's hard to remember he is a prince. He has blonde hair, sea-green eyes, and likes to sail (of course). He is Barren's best friend. Despite his rebellious nature, he'd do anything for his people and Barren.

When the twins were younger, Leaf saved Limb from drowning. Limb was really never the same around water again. Which really sucks cause he's surrounded by it! Of the two, Limb is the quietest and not really the leader, so it's sort of hard for him to be left by his brother.

I write about Elves in another book I'm working on called SOULLESS. I think this world will deal specifically with Elves and Fairies.

My Elves are split into difference races:

Blood Elves
Arethian Elves
Water Elves

There will probably be more, I can't see the world very clearly. These three are all at war...oh, and the Arethian Elves don't really exist anymore. Only one does and she's out for her revenge!

15 comments:

  1. I've always found elves interesting. The thing about being immortal but you can be killed always threw me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, immortal extends to just your health really, your body never degenerates I guess you could say...you just stay healthy and youthful...but any youthful person can be killed in say...a car accident or they can be fatally wounded. It still ends their life. Never dying is a different thing...like having nine lives, but I'm not sure what'd you call that...reincarnation? haha. Soooo confusing!!

      Delete
  2. This all sounds so exciting. I love all the lore. Too cool.

    Jen from Falling for Fiction. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your take on Elves! Very original. I've said it before and I'll say it again, what's not to love about an Elf Pirate? I really think you're on to something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Thanks!! I hope so! I just LOVE this world. I'm trying my hardest not to get out of it! <3

      Delete
  4. I love your world and how you've got not just elves, but three races of elves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You know what's funny? When I was editing my book last night, I thought of your posts because I have a part where someone asks for Barren's name and he says "Fairview" is his last name!

      Delete
  5. Yay for Elf Pirates! Loving your A to Z, and you imagine each character looking like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I probably shouldn't give people pictures but some of these people REALLY look like my peeps!! Especially Ben Barnes. I saw him in Prince Caspian and I was like "Cove?" hahaha.

      Delete
  6. Seriously, look at the bone structure on that first elf in the LOTR picture. Wow.

    I'm a fan of elves. Am curious about what blood elves are.

    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in the context of the story, they become known as Blood Elves (Bloods) because they massacre the entire Arethian Race. They suck pretty bad...well, not all of them. lol.

      Delete
  7. I've always thought of elves as cute and charming but am learning there's so much more to it thanks to your magical posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, pirates AND elves...awesome! :)

    The LOTR pics made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the Elves in the Lord of the Rings! You have a pretty cool world out there, great reading!

    Hello, stopping by from A-Z Challenge!
    English Speaking Zone

    ReplyDelete