Cutlass Trilogy

Saturday, April 7, 2012

A-Z Challenge: G

G is for Galleons and Guns!

Yay pirate words!!


You'll probably will recognize Galleons from any pirate movie. They were common in the 18th and 19th century. I wondered how people could tell these a part from other ships, so I googled Galleons and found this on Wikipedia:

The most distinguishing features of the galleon include the long beak, the lateen-rigged mizzenmasts, and the square gallery at the stern off the captain's cabin. In larger galleons, a fourth mast was added, usually a lateen-rigged mizzen, called the bonaventure mizzen.

Aren't some of those names funny?!?  You can also go to the wiki page for Galleons to see a list of some famous ones! (Ex....A ship called Vasa that inspired the design for the Flying Dutchman!).

Some of my ships are called The Kindrick, The Cathal, and The Emerald. You see pirates fly black sails, but in my books, I thought that was stupid cause that just says you're a pirate run!! So I don't do that. haha.
Many of my pirates use Flintlock pistols.
My pirates usually have more than one weapon on them other than a Flintlock pistol. They are very annoying cause they only have one shot. I think there were newer ones actually, that held more shots, but I'll have to research that again. I can't remember. Anyway, it's just easier to have them carry more weapons, especially daggers.
This is a swivel cannon. It's super fun. LOL. 
In conjunction with scatter projectiles, these are super cool. I watched a youtube video to make sure what I wanted to happen could actually happen. That's the magic of youtube! 

11 comments:

  1. Haha. I like that. It says 'I'm a pirate, run!' :)

    I love how as writers we take those things that were real and can twist them to fit our stories. Make them real for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe. That was the voice inside my head. haha. I love that too!! I want something that's logical and makes my 'fantasy' world seem like it once existed! That's the funnest!

      Delete
  2. My 5 year old is crazy for anything pirate related. So I have learned many of these terms because of this interest. Great post. I let me son see this post and he loves the little swivel cannon. In fact, he now wants one. So.not.happening!

    Great 'G' post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. They are so frightening!! When I watched that youtube video, I was like "NO WAY! I would NOT shoot that thing!"

      Alas, I could not be a pirate! :(

      Delete
  3. Yes! I used all sorts of fun terms like this for my sea-faring society too. They're not quite pirates, but still loads of fun. You'll like my "X" entry - it's one of the resources I used A LOT while writing about sea and sailing terms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYAY!!!

      ooohhhh. I can't wait!! I'm not very good on my pirate terminology. Mainly because I feel like it wouldn't always be that this people would have a common way they spoke since piracy is actually an occupation. Does that make sense? haha. Seeing your "X" just made me realize what my "X" post was going to be!! Yay reminders!!

      Delete
  4. Pirates! Yay!

    Now that you mention it it does seem completely wrong that pirates would announce their presence with black sails or skull and crossbones. Then again it could be for the benefit of other pirates: hey, don't attack us, we're badasses like you.

    Your series looks great. I would read that.

    A-Z @ Elizabeth Twist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! In my book, piracy is complicated by privateers (who get pretty mean), so it's easier to sail under white sails. I have on instance when black sails are used, and it's at night so that the moon doesn't catch the white. That made sense to me, but in practice, I have no idea. haha.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Thank you!!!! I really hope, when it's ever published, people adore it! :D

      Delete
  5. No black flag. lol Yeah, nowadays if you want to show people you are a pirate, you just hang the Chinese flag out. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for research! I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge blogs this month.

    ReplyDelete